Driving Safely Reminders
When you’re behind the wheel of a car – whether alone or with passengers – driving safely should always be your top concern. Drivers of all types of motor vehicles are more distracted than ever, so it’s crucial to know the basics of safe driving and practice them every time you’re on the road.
Focus on driving
- Keep 100% of your attention on driving at all times – no multi-tasking.
- Don’t use your phone or any other electronic device while driving.
- Slow down. Speeding gives you less time to react and increases the severity of an accident.
- Be aware of what other drivers around you are doing, and expect the unexpected.
- Assume other motorists will do something crazy, and always be prepared to avoid it.
- Keep a 2-second cushion between you and the car in front of you.
- Increase that cushion to 4 seconds if the weather is bad.
Make a safe driving plan
- Build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks, phone calls or other business.
- Adjust your seat, mirrors and climate controls before putting the car in gear.
- Pull over to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes.
- Secure cargo that may move around while the vehicle is in motion.
- Don’t attempt to retrieve items that fall to the floor.
- Have items needed within easy reach – such as toll fees and garage passes.
- Always wear your seat belt and drive sober and drug-free.
- Don’t text while driving.
- Don’t allow children to fight or climb around in your car – they should be buckled in their seats at all times. Too much noise can easily distract you from focus on the road.
- Avoid driving when you’re tired. Be aware that some medications cause drowsiness and make operating a vehicle very dangerous.
- Always use caution when changing lanes. Cutting in front of someone, changing lanes too fast or not using your signals may cause an accident or upset other drivers.
- Be extra careful while driving during the hours right after happy hour and when the bars close for the night..
Download our FREE Mobile App:
The Accident App is an easy to use, step by step guide to help you through a Car Accident, Slip & Fall, or Dog Bite. The Accident App provides user friendly tools to collect the basic data needed for your specific accident. Take pictures using the App, or load pictures taken earlier outside of the App. Enter only the necessary information, and get through the process quickly!
Available on: iOS & Android